Here is an alternate style of voting buttons for popular open source Q&A platform Question2Answer. The default setup is fine – besides the bad image quality – but this setup gives the voting a little more focus.
Default Q2A style on left; my arrangement on right.
Because the buttons are split up, implementing this requires some changes to an advanced theme.
Continue reading Alternate voting buttons for Question2Answer
Question2Answer is a popular open source platform for building Q&A sites. It’s a great piece of software but the default theme leaves something to be desired. In particular, the icons used in various places around the site aren’t the best, so I made some changes to the voting arrows and best answer stars. Problems with the default setup:
- The voting buttons are poor quality: they have fixed transparency due to the GIF format and look “scratchy” around the edges.
- The images are spread across 3 files –
selected-star.png – which means multiple HTTP requests.
- The best answer stars have solid colour backgrounds, not transparent – if you don’t have a white background in your theme or blue background for the best answer then a square shows through.
- Two of the stars are almost identical so no need for separate images.
Continue reading Better icons for Question2Answer
Question2Answer is a popular open source platform for building Q&A sites. Version 1.3, released last November, introduced a plugin feature to allow for further extending Question2Answer without editing core functionality. Since then I have – very slowly – been working on a Markdown editor plugin for better formatting of posts. Q2A actually comes with a WYSIWYG editor, however Markdown has several advantages:
- It’s a simple markup format that is readable as plain text.
- It defines a neat set of allowable elements, including code, block quotes, lists, links and images.
- Markdown intrinsically creates much better HTML code. If you have ever seen the HTML output of CKeditor or TinyMCE, you’ll know how plain terrible they are with even simple formatting.
Continue reading Markdown editor plugin for Question2Answer